Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Student Success Statement; Karl G. Maeser

" I have been asked what I mean by 'word of honor' i will tell you: Place me behind prison walls- walls of stone ever so high, ever so thicc, reaching ever so far into the ground- there is a possibility that in some way or another I might be able to escape; but stand me on the floor andd draw a chalk line around me and have me give my word of honor never to cross it. Can I get out of that circle? No, never! I'd die first." - Karl G. Maeser

I agree with Karl because it is true that he is loyal to his word. He cannot cross his word of honor because it is on honor. Honor is what people would use to verify and solemnly swear by things. I remember this because an old history teacher showed the class a document from the 1800's. It was a simple laundry receipt. But at the end, in fine print, It said that the person swears on honor to verify that the purchase was lawful and correct. It was just a simple laundry receipt but it had a person swear on honor because of the importance to have someone keep their word. Karl G. Maeser was great to uphold this saying because it stopped him from being dishonest that is why everyone else should uphold it. By not crossing the circle of honor, they will be trust worthy. It is great that this is taught at BYU as a life moral.

No comments:

Post a Comment